Tuesday, June 7, 2011

C: Self 'Steal Her Workout' -Maria Menounos

As Q mentioned, I was traveling last week and besides starting the fAat yoGa challenge (did you get your 20mins in today?!), I saw a great workout that was perfect for my hotel room, so I tried it. To give you a little background, this month's Self Magazine featured Access Hollywood anchor and NBC Nightly News reporter, Maria Menounos, and her super easy and effective hotel workout routine. Not only could I feel the burn but have made this workout part of my nightly routine. These can be done on a bed or a couch..if you are on the floor, I would suggest a yoga mat. Here's what you do...

1. Saddlebag slimmer or as I like to call it the 'let's have pillow talk'...lie on your left side, with left arm supporting head/neck and right hand on the bed in front of you. Squeezing your thighs and butt, put your insoles together and spread your knees apart, you should form a diamond shape. Now lift your feet off of the bed. I really felt this in my left inner thigh and my right hip! I did not really like this move as I felt I couldn't really get my legs/feet off of the bed so I added more to the next moves...

2. Belly buster...or as I like to call it, 'hang off the bed and then sit up'...lie on bed with shoulders/arms hanging off of bed. (you should be looking upside down). Now sit up onto bed in an upright position. This was awesome while 'listening' to the news, the up and down movement made me feel a little queezy so I did not focus on the TV too much.

3. Tush tightener...once again...not the name I would have picked so let's go with 'get on all fours and do a donkey kick in the air'. I did this move 3 different ways in the same set. I got on all fours and started with my right leg. At first I kicked my foot up into the air with my foot flexed and then brought my knee back to the bed. Then the next time I kicked, I pointed my foot and extended my leg and instead of bringing it back in to the bed, I made my knee come forward and arched my back up; then to start. The third move, which completed the rep was I donkey kicked up and then pulsed it up 10 times before returning to start. I did 2 sets of 12 reps with 3 moves counting for 1 rep each.

4. The last move they show is called a thigh trimmer...which is like a scissor kick.  You lay on one side, with your leg on the bed, bent behind you. Pointing your foot with the other leg, simply raise it up. Now...You can get wild with this one..as I did. I did the simply up down move but then I expanded it to go up and around in a circle and I also pulsed the leg up.


No comments:

Post a Comment