Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Q: Subway Journey

After a long day of work then a nice swim hunger was calling my name. As I made my way to the pet store for some good ole kibble for the dogs the tummy began to rumble. So naturally once the rumbly started in my tummy my mind began to drift. I stood there looking at the bag of dog food picturing my hand reaching inside a red bag of Doritos, I could taste that wonderful artificial cheese flavor, I could here the crunch. Then I was interrupted by a high pitched high schooler asking if he could help me. I paid walked out felt like slow motion, listening to my stomach hoping for a snack then it occurred to me. Moments like this is where the work begins, it's not easy to get up and go to the gym but its extremely hard to fight those moments when you are hungry and needing something quick.  I decided to take a moment sit in the car and think about what I was going to do next. Eventually I thought about Subway because we have all seen the commercials so we can all agree what a healthier choice.
For a little background I have been very aware of what I eat because of the amount of energy I'm expending per day. I do a full body workout 3x per week, I take a yoga class 4 times out of the week thats not to mention the hours of swimming, walking the dogs and other physical activities. I have to be aware of how many calories I consume its important that I have enough calories. I went to subway ordered the footlong of the month which is a chipolte chicken, this turned into a flat bread roasted chicken and swiss with a ton of vegitables for a little over 5 dollars. I rushed home fed the dogs then fed myself and while I was eating it I thought about the amount of calories I consumed vs. the amount of money I paid for the sub. I calculated using subways nutritional values pdf found on their website, that I consumed about 532 calories. That equates to a foot long, flat bread, chicken and Swiss sandwich with a ton of veggies and honey mustard.
When thinking of a fast food establishment its really not bad at all when we look at the calories. As I was eating I thought about what I could have done differently. Subway is right next to Publix (a supermarket), I could have walked in purchased $2 of low sodium, low fat turkey, 1 loaf of oatmeal bread (on sale for 2), a handful of fresh spinach ($.40), 1 tomato ($.89) and walked out of the store. The amount of money I would have spent on those items could have made a sandwich for tonight and tomorrow . If you want to look at the calorie content, 2 slices of oatmeal bread is 45 calories add an additional 50 calories for the slices of turkey and I never count the calories of veggies because it is so small. Basically what I learned is that we pay for convienance in calories and in money. If we truly want to cut our waist along with our waste we truly have to dedicate time and patience in making everyday choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment