Friday, July 8, 2011

C: My Version of Ramen

In trying to come up with creative carb/veg/protein combos on the cheap, I turn to Ramen! Yes, I could go and get the cheap package from the store but the salt is out of this world and the noodles are not always made from rice. So I took a trip to my local farmer's market and picked up some in season veggies, some asian chicken seasoning, and a HUGE package of rice noodles for cheap cheap cheap!! Here is what I did. I heated a pan (med/high heat) and added about a tbsp of olive oil. While that was heating, I thinly sliced some left over flank steak from the day before. I placed the steak in the pan and let it cook, flipping it about 1/2 the way through...about 3-4 mins on each side. BTW, I added about 1/2 cup of water to the pan and put the lid on the pan to sear in the steam...makes for juicy steak. While the steak was cooking, I rinsed off some bok choy, got out my pre-cut scallions and carrots, and dissolved about 1 tbsp of the chicken seasoning in 2 cups of hot water. I removed the steak and set it aside in a bowl. I then added the broth, scallions, carrots, bok choy, and the steak. I left the center open for my noodles. The rice noodle package comes in an 8.5x11 sheet about 2 inches thick so I just grabbed a hunk and ripped it from the other noodles. I placed the noodles in the middle of the pan to absorb the liquid, giving the noodles a quick 'chuszzz' so that the liquid was above the noodle. I then turned the heat down (med/low heat), put the cover on the pan and let the ingredients get to know each other for about 8-10mins. I then turned the heat off, did a quick toss and served. This made 2 servings and was oh...so....good!!! Try adding in season veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment