Friday, May 6, 2011

Q: Extreme Makeover–Weight loss Addition

I wanted to write this last night but decided that I should not write in the full emotional fury I initially had when I saw this commercial. I know you must be wondering what am I talking about or better yet you might be saying to yourself “tell me why you mad Craig.” I get off of work late and get home about 40 minutes later; I rush home in order to let out my two beasts that are usually kenneled while I am gone. Once I walk in the door the 5 minutes that I have are pretty scripted, I let the dogs out, rub both at the same time, run to the kitchen put down fresh water, throw the ball, rub a belly and turn on the TV while kicking off the work shoes, flip flops go on and we are out the door.  Last night was different, we did not follow the flow and walk right out of the door, oh no instead when I turned on the TV a commercial came on. Apparently ABC has come up with this fantastic (I hope you sense the sarcasm) program called Extreme Makeover: Weight loss Addition.
I will now tell you why I am mad: I became furious over the title and the premise of the show. First let me state think about the show itself Extreme Makeover: Home Addition, there they are the most obnoxious designers choosing the poorest saddest people in America and building a ridiculously large and extravagant house. A house that most people have to foreclose on because they can’t keep up with the maintenance or the high energy cost of having such a large house on a small income. Whatever way you would like to look at it they are building a house for the poor and making a ton of money on showing how sad and unhappy these people were and how they rushed in and saved the day.
On the weight loss addition they are going to take the “super” obese show a sad arse story and rebuild them like the house they are and *pow* a transformation. This is was I have to say about that…..”LARGER PEOPLE ARE NOT PROJECTS WE ARE NOT HOUSES” don’t get me wrong there are a lot of shows out there that are profiting on seeing fAat people sweat. First the Biggest Loser now I love me some Jillian, wish I could meet her just to have her yell “you better give me more” ok that’s my own dirty dream lol; At least they are showing these people as being competitive, lively spirited, they cry too dayng much for my taste but at least they are portrayed as being human. Then there is Heavy which I might say has to be my favorite show not because it is entertaining, at times it is especially when Ricky Wayne was giving you the tiger eyes lol. It is my favorite show because they tackle the mental part of gain and sustainability.
Yes I am mad, pretty pissed and I know simply mentioning the show may spark a Google or Bing search.  I can tell you that I will not watch the show, I do not think it’s a home improvement project to get the super obese, as they put it, into shape. Shame Shame Shame on ABC, weight loss is a huge business and for some time with the Biggest Loser, the channel had a gold mine. However over time the contestants were not big enough, they weren’t sad enough and now they transition to the even bigger ones. I am only one person but I will turn the channel and hopefully find a Yankees game, soccer, football, anything on while I am home. FYI we are not all sad, we are not projects, we are not buildings, we are just people who stumbled and fell along the way. Give me a show that says hey you have always been beautiful this is not what this is about; let me help you get healthy so that you can live a longer fulfilled life.

No comments:

Post a Comment