Sunday, February 20, 2011

C: Travel

One of my biggest fears in losing weight is traveling. I've always looked at traveling as an excuse to eat whatever I want because...hell...I'm on vacation. Even if I'm traveling for work, it becomes a break from my normal routine. I don't have to get Bug up and out to school, I don't have to walk the dogs....that is a vacation. Between Miami last weekend and traveling to Indy this past weekend and week I feel like I've finally learned to balance my 'vacation' and not go overboard. How I did it? Planned. For my Miami trip, I knew that Bug and I would be in the car for a over 3 hours so I enlisted her help and we packed some energy boosting, stomach filling snacks. Lots of fresh fruit, nuts, dried fruit and lots and lots of water. We stopped at Subway but, really, any restaurant has healthy options, most have salads. This time, instead of looking forward to going overboard breakfast lunch and dinner, I looked forward to walking around, sight-seeing, and taking in the atmosphere. I ordered fresh salads, pizza from the childrens' menu (great for portion control), bought fruit for the room, and skipped the drive-by snack stations. I must have said 'no thank you' 20 times to the folks with samples on their trays. Amazingly, the folks I was with followed suit. We toured art galleries, lounged in bookstores, hiked the stairs to see amazing views, and walked, walked, walked.

For my Indy trip, I had to plan a little differently. One, the weather is 40 degrees colder so staying motivated to workout is, well, another fear. Two...shot shot shot shot shot shot (like the song)...my coworkers like to drink. So.....I bought items for my room for breakfast. Stick with salads and protein at lunch and for dinner I have been sticking with hearty soups and/or chili. Right now I am noshing on chicken tortilla soup. For the alcohol, I am trying to stay with a rum and a diet. But I have had cranberry and vodka and a mojito while I have been here. I allow 1-2 and sip water the rest of the way...I feel social but not throwing my body way off track. My hotel also has an awesome gym. This is a plus when traveling. I called ahead and am taking advantage of their 'in your room' program where they left an exercise ball, yoga mat, jump rope, and stretchy band...wonderful, wonderful idea for travelers who want to stick to their workout routines!

Here are my top 6 travel tips in order to keep your fAat yoGa routine on track:
1.Indulge, don't overeat. Allow yourself to have those expensive wines or to die for chocolate cake. You don't normally have this stuff at home so share with a loved one by getting one portion to split.

2.Pack snacks. I carried my water bottle with me that comes with its own filter. This not only saves me money because the bottle's filter = 300 24oz bottles, but I can also make sure I am staying hydrated.

3.Fill you room with goodness. Skip the expensive hotel breakfast and keep the in room dining at bay by having snacks in your room. I was able to call ahead and have fruit available in my room everyday and I also had a friend bring me to the local grocery store in order to pick up some familiar favorites.

4.Take in the sights! Be a tourist whether you are visiting for the first time or the 10th time. As you walk, take notice of architecture, discover new places. Yesterday I found a little French bistro that has been in Indy for 2 years...I didn't even know it existed!!

5.Enjoy the social aspect, responsibly. Drinking alcohol dehydrates your body but let's face it, drinking can be a fun way to help unwind as well. Try and eat protein and veggies during the day...this will give you room for all the sugar/carbs in mixed drinks at night without the guilt.

6.Keep your workout routine. Many hotels have gyms and pools. Call ahead and ask what sort of services they offer and ask for local maps for running and walking around the hotel. Pack those sneakers and favorite workout clothes!

No comments:

Post a Comment