Wednesday, April 6, 2011

C: Goals

What I've learned so far on this journey is what did not work for me for so many years when I've tried to lose weight before. I focused so much on the end goal....a size, a bikini, and event. I realized a few things that did not work for me when doing that approach.

1-The goal was so far away that the day to day did not seem significant...the goal was just too untouchable. So one day slacking here turned into 3 days slacking the next week, etc. Pretty soon the 'date to be down by xyz pounds' would be there and gone and I would feel bad, once again for not getting it done, again. So what am I doing now? I have weekly goals that are attainable. I write down every opportunity for exercise whether it is a class at the gym, or a long walk with the dogs...My goal is to attain 3 per week. With approximately 4 items each day, I have not failed. So next will be adding another goal to those like pushing myself to up the incline one day, etc. Today, in this very moment, Tough Mudder is not for me but my options are open and if I feel like I'm strong enough come November than you're damn right I'll have a ticket!

2-Overhauling my life with too many 'get rid of this and thats'; too much planning. I was a planner...big time. Sometimes I think I gave more energy to creating spreadsheets or weight loss diet plans than actually putting them into action. This time I've stopped that. I've written down potential workouts (see item 1) and have not limited anything from my diet. Now...if I want something, anything, than I have it, I just eat the amount you are supposed to eat of it and I do not mind throwing the rest away. Because in general I am eating more veggies and good for your body foods (meaning the less processed the better), I find that foods that are not so good for your body attract me less and less. I have let go of the guilt that is associated with eating at all. Eating is what you need to do to have energy. So while I'll have a deviled egg, a protein shake, peach cobbler, or salad...it is all portioned. I don't feel deprived and I laugh when I think about how 'guilty' I felt stopping at Wendy's. Please! I am putting the work in. It isn't about 'deserving' to treat myself anymore...food does not have that power for me anymore. I treat myself everyday by living my best life daily....making me happy is what is getting me through this journey..believe that!

And finally

3. Support. For the first time I am actually talking about my journey to friends, family, even strangers. Just had a convo yesterday with a guy from Long Island about being athletic but letting go over the years. I bought a piece of furniture from him and do you know he called me last night to tell me that I inspired him so much that he left work and signed up to a LifeStyle Family Fitness near his house?! Wow!!! We are going to keep in touch over email and I expect he will become a follower of this blog (you hear that Russ?! I'm calling you out!!). Anyway...support is so important. I am blessed to have one of my best friends living near me. While we have different schedules and different goals, different motivations, we are doing this ...well...together. Some days I am off and she's at the gym pumping it out...other days she is off and I am there three times. It is not a competition. It is not a biggest loser. It is real life and we are supporting each other through ideas, encouragement and sometimes not saying anything at all. Just knowing that we will be around for each other when we are old is what is important. Being healthy is so important!

Okay! Now who wants a virtual high-five?!!-C

No comments:

Post a Comment