Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Q: I heart Rasa-LiLa

After all the buildup on Saturday April, 16th I went to my first festival focused on the practice of yoga. At first I was a bit hesitant the New yorker started to take hold and that feeling of going to a place alone made me uncomfortable. This process is all about change and stepping out of ones comfort zone and experiencing new things. With that in mind I got up walked my boys, picked up my Yoga mat, water, camera and an open mind and walked out the door.  I drove and the first thing I noticed when I pulled up to the campgrounds was the Orange Groves right next to the grounds and a farm right across from that. I parked got out of my car and immediately was met with smiles, from the persons handling parking to registration everyone was happy and very inviting.

I picked up my gift bag was directed to my volunteer station and walked up to yet another smiling face welcoming me to the fest. Every doubt I had in me about whether I would enjoy myself had left, instead I focused on enjoying the moment. At that moment this city G was surrounded by nature and with people who found their own joy in what they do. From the vendors, non-profit organizations and the Yoga studios everyone was there for one thing, joy. Honestly I did not know how if I could handle such an experience where it was completely dry. In my previous life I would have run the other way when I heard the word "dry" but in this one it really didn't matter.

It was such an amazing experience a full day of meditation, Yoga, Music, Lecture and kids fun. I took my first Power Yoga class with Stephen Bickle from the Bella Prana Yoga who was amazing. I could not do some of the poses and you know that was a ok no one stared they just offered options. Then there was Flow Yoga by Yoga Village, Jivamukti by Happy Buddha Yoga studio and then I took a break. While on break I sat under a tree eating a vegan philly cheesesteak from the Lettuce Eat Healthy stand and watched the yogi's in the inversion class taught by Amy Chin from Jai-Dee Yoga. It felt great just to be in that moment waiting for C and Kai to join me. Finally they arrived and immediately the vibe turned static, immediately we decided that next year we would stay overnight and urge our friends to join us.

Finally we met two great people who represent Team Beach Body. Janna and Joel were great and immediately we all clicked and had some great laughs while also talking about the need to get healthy. Along with that there was the transition from Shawn T's Insanity workout, gaining weight, losing weight and Shakeology. Oh and for the first time I actually won a raffle, I won a 30 day supply of Shakeology of which I will write a full review of. What I took from this entire experience is this: Larger sizes are missing from great experiences like Rasa-Lila but its not because we are not welcome, its because we just haven't made our presence known...until now. I also found that you can connect with people from all walks of life and find fruitful connections and support. I know that the feeling of being alone is one that is placed on ourselves because we are not alone. I heart yoga and you know what there are a ton of people who also heart yoga. From the men practicing in prison, to the upper class music mogul, the middle class stay at home mom, and the lower class pay what you can crowed.

fAat yoGa will have a greater presence next year at the fest hopefully we can get more people out for the first time sporting there fAat shirts. If you are looking for additional support make sure you check out Janna Ballard on either FB or Team Beach Body she is a coach and support your local Yoga studios. Here are a few pictures from the fest enjoy:




No comments:

Post a Comment