Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Q: Church

It took me two days to write this because I needed to really take in going to church on Sunday. If you have been following C referred to the outdoor free Yoga class that was held in downtown Tampa as Church. I was excited from the beginning to go, first to see downtown Tampa, and secondly because the practice has completely transformed my life. Leading up to the event I became a bit nervous, the morning yoga class I take every Sunday could not bring me to that tranquil state due to a switch in instructors. The person that took over for the class was good however I could not awaken the internal quiet I experience with Sonja every Sunday and Wednesday. Something about her voice allows me to really focus on my breathing and with every breath she guides me to full relaxation.

I wanted to be relaxed because I have or had my own anxiety about being out in the open contorting my body while also being in the dirt. What pushed me was the excitement in C's voice and the fact that my god daughter was going to join us in the open. We arrived and there out in the open was this beautiful space full of life, bright with colors and smiling faces. Since I moved down to Tampa I had yet to experience downtown, wow it was beautiful. From the architecture of the museum and the University of Tampa, to the Canal that separated college life to downtown life. My inner nerd began to awaken all I could think about is the historical contexts of the buildings and its location to the canal. As we walked past the museum and left the Canal to our backs, there they were, at the park meditating all in one motion. At that moment all the uncertainty of participating left, it felt like slow motion but I unrolled my mat and waited for the first move.

There we were under the trees, in the shade, feet planted, reaching up to the sky then back down and into the tree pose. For the first time I felt the power of that pose, I felt as if my feet were rooted in the ground through my mat digging its way into the earth. I had my first spiritual awakening, there was this sensation that came over me of complete bliss. Secretly I peaked at C just to see if she felt it too but she was in her own trance deep in her own meditative state. At times I am envious because she can truly shut out the world while my mind always has to get the last word lol. I fell in love with myself, the earth, the wind, my spirit, the worlds spirit and Yoga. With that understanding my plank became stronger, the transition from downward dog to cobra became more fluid. I understood how and why people become so connected to this practice and why meditation is just as important as breath and movement in this practice. I never thought I'd say that I look forward to going back to CHURCH, I do.

Every Sunday in Tampa, FL at Curtis Hixon Park from 6-7p a yoga class will be held and is open to everyone. If you are in the area or travel and want something to do other than the beach come and join us. Oh and one more thing it was great to see that there were other fAat yoGa participants :)

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed with how honest you are in this blog. Both you and C. You have become so self-aware and so active. I hope you know how proud I am and I really hope you take this momentum and continue to dance with the universe.

    ReplyDelete